Chocolate – Cinematographer Pre-Production Journal

Summary

In this project, I came together with a group of 3 people in order to produce a pre written film called “Chocolate!” We were provided with multiple shots to choose from to make a unique film from our peers. Our task was to decide the storyboarding of the film as a team and then film this and edit a final product. Although the rest of the class is producing the same film, each one of the final products will look different from the rest due to the fact that there is a multitude of shots to choose from at different points, and the blocking differs too.

Test Shots

CC via Colby Buell
CC via Colby Buell
CC via Colby Buell
CC via Colby Buell

Lighting Tests

CC via Colby Buell

This shot shows the lighting setup used for the wide shot presenting both character at one point in time.

CC via Colby Buell

This lighting setup was used for the close up on the man eating the chocolate bar.

Equipment Checklist

CC via Colby Buell

Collaboration with Director

CC via Colby Buell
CC via Colby Buell

Set-up Sequence Workflow

In the beginning of the project, my team members and I came together in order to delegate film production roles. We had three people on the team. A director, cinematographer, and an editrr. Each of these roles in very essential in order to create a quality film. My team members and I immediately began setting up for production. This is necessary to have a smooth running and time efficient production stage in any film. Together we decided on many things including (but not limited to) blocking, props, script, and mise-en-scene. We also came together to take various test shots and lighting setups, as shown throughout this post.

Map of Each Location

CC via Colby Buell

Storyboard Notation

CC via Colin W.

On the storyboard, we notated the shot choices and a general idea of what was said.

What I Learned

In this project, I continued my learning regarding cinematography. I was able to work in a larger group scenario. At first, there were problems working fluidly with the paired team. After our group came together to talk, the problems were solved and we were able to run an efficient production. This taught me how important group communication is and how it is necessary in any situation in order to work well together and have a succesful outcome.